Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Early Edwardian White Leather Mules





From the seller:

Beautiful pair of ladies antique dress shoes, with hand embroidered storage bag. Shoes are super soft white leather, I think they are kid leather. They are in fabulous condition, looks like they were worn once, maybe for a wedding. The overall length of the shoes is 9" and the widest part of the sole is 2 3/4", the heel is 1 1/4". They have a stitched pierced pattern and a turned up toe.

From Me: 

I *think* these are about Turn of the Century based on the bag alone.   The shoes could be much older, however, given the styling.   Mules or slides have been around since at least the late 15th Century and I'm sure they are older than that (I just haven't looked back much further than that).  

6 comments:

  1. Whoa, those are crazy! I've *never* seen turned-up-toes like that, that weren't in obviously "Turkish" slippers. I agree that they're a lot older, at least 100 years. The thickness and style of sole is definitely not appropriate for such fancy shoes in 1900. I've pored over Nancy Rexford's Shoes book, but I don't recall anything like these. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe fancy dress shoes? It looks like the stitching around the decorated edge might be machine - which is why I didn't bother with an earlier date. Honestly, it's so hard to tell much about the shoes that I really did go off of the bag alone. :-/

      Delete
    2. I wondered about that, too. I like Cole's answer, though!

      Delete
  2. Those are definitely foreign made. The tacking of the soles is not a technique I see on American/English shoes of the late 19th century (or any time really). I have seen that on Moroccan and Turkish shoes, however. The heel shape indicates 1870-90. I'm thinking it might have been more like a gift brought home from a travel; something odd and curious, but slightly exotic (and uncomfortable by the looks of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the mules look comfortable to me - but I have issues with shoes that have backs to them. ;-) I wouldn't be surprised if they were foreign made. I *think* (it's really hard to tell) the upper decorative stitching is machine - however, that would still fall in the late 1800's time line.

      Delete
  3. Great they haved some new design of shoes specially in white colours

    ReplyDelete