Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A new pair of Romantic Era shoes

















From the seller:

About 9.5" long, 2 1/4" wide.

The outside look smooth, maybe it is silk. There are frays and holes on the back of the shoes, and I believe the frays and holes came from storage. The material on the tips of the shoes is leather-like material (it could be faux leather). It has light wear. No holes.

The soles are thin. They look like leather, but could be man-made material.

The lining is cotton. I didn't see damages on the lining. It has brownish stain from age.

The front of the shoes are in good shape. I didn't see damages on the front.

All seams are hand-sewn to me. I could be wrong, but I am sure that at least most seams are hand sewn.

They have light smell and dust from storage.

Please refer to the pictures for more information.
Thank you for looking and happy bidding!


From Me:

MINE! ALL MINE! My PrEcIOus.....

I'm so glad I get to add these beauties to my collection.  The pictures with the very pink hand are mine - taken with my iPhone as I seem to have misplaced my camera (again).  They arrived today so here's what I can tell you - very much late 1820's/1830's in style.  Like all shoes in the 17th, 18th, and first half the 19th century, they are straight soled.  (Before someone else does the "But! But!" thing, yes, the very first part of the 17th century had left and right lasts. They did away with them for economic reasons and you end up with straight lasts until machines start making shoes, pretty much.)  They are narrow as with the earlier Regency style shoes and flat.  I love the small stamps on the bottom of the show - maybe a maker's mark?   It's clear they were never, ever worn.

The original ties are still tied together.  It looks like the brown string on the back (which fell apart when I opened the package, d'oh!) of one of the shoes was used to hang the shoes up on a hook.  Maybe they were a pair to show off what they shoemaker could do?   They are definitely silk taffeta with leather and lined in linen.   Everything is, of course, hand sewn.   I really haven't seen a pair in this good condition outside a museum.

If anyone wants additional pictures, just ask.  I'll take 'em as soon as I find my camera.   It's either here or at Mom's so it will turn up quickly.  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Such a treasure! And they look so comfortable.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing to look at in person. Clearly the work of someone who knew exactly what s/he was doing.

      Delete